Sestiere “San Marco”

The sestiere of San Marco, heart of the city, lies around San Marco Square, which was once called “Morso” maybe because its ground was harder than anywhere else, and “Brolo” maybe because its land was grassy and full of trees.
It was the center of the religious and civil life of the city.
The Doge was ordained and acclaimed in San Marco and during his funeral, his coffin was lifted nine times once the funeral cortege reached the square.
The “Sea Captains” or Serenissima Admirals received their command insignia in San Marco Square upon leaving for their historical ventures.
In both war times and peaceful times people used to gather in this place.

Area Marciana

The Marciana area represents a concentration of architectural and artistic treasures around the Piazza S.Marco, one of the most famous squares in the world. It includes the Basilica of St. Mark, the Clock Tower, the Ducal Palace, the Old, New and...

Bistrot de Venise

The Classic & Historic Venetian Cuisine with Renaissance recipes from XIV° to XVIII° century. The small but awarded wine producers from Veneto Region and Italy. Important meeting point and cultural centre in Venice with a rich and wide programm of...

Casa del Veronese

At number 3338 was the home of Paolo Caliari, known as “the Veronese”, who lived there from 1583 until the day of his death, the 19th April 1588.

Chiesa di Santa Maria de la Fava

The anterior part of the church is by the architect Gaspari (1711) while the presbytery was built to a design by Massari.

Chiesa di San Fantin

The former parish church of St. Fantino is held to have been founded by the Barozzi, Aldicina and Equilia families in Venice’s dim and distant past. It underwent rebuilding at the expense of the Pisani family when a miraculous image of Our Lady...

Chiesa di San Vidal

Rebuilt between the 1600s and the 1700s to a design by Antonio Gaspari with contributions by Andea Tirali, it has a classical facade and has for some years been deconsecrated and used as a venue for art exhibitions. However, inside there are some...

Chiesa di Santo Stefano

Built by the hermits of St. Augustine in the 13th century and completely rebuilt in the 14th. It was added to and constructively remodelled in the 1400s. New sculptural and pictorial decoration in the florid Venetian Gothic style have given the...

Gran Teatro "La Fenice"

Historic Venetian theatre, rebuilded after a disastrous fire which completely destroyed it in 1996.

Museo Archeologico

Located in the Procuratie Vecchie and in some of the rooms in the Marciana Library, it is a collection of statues, friezes and medallions from the Greek period. The collections come from two principal sources, Cardinal Domenico Grimani (1523) and...

Museo Correr

The halls are arranged around the Procuratie Vecchie, begun in the 16th century by Bartolomeo Bon with the aid of Guglielmo de Grigi, with entrances from the Napoleonic Procuratie Nuovissime of 1810. They hold a collection of paintings, coins and...

Ca' Corner

The Palazzo Corner faces the Grand Canal. The building was begun in 1724 under the direction of Domenico Rossi, with evident influences from the nearby Ca’ Pesaro. When the last of the Corner family, Caterino the priest, died the palazzo became,...

Basilica di San Marco

La Basilica di San Marco a Venezia è la chiesa più famosa del capoluogo veneto. È il più noto esempio di architettura bizantina. Si affaccia su Piazza San Marco ed è adiacente e collegata al Palazzo dei Dogi. Inoltre è la sede del patriarca di...

Ca' Contarini del Bovolo

At number 4299 is Palazzo Contarini dal Bovolo with its arched facade facing the canal. It takes its name from the spiral staircases (in Venetian bovolo) which are built in the garden and make this lombardesque edifice quite unusual. It was probably...

Chiesa di San Beneto

The former parish church of St. Benedict was begun in 1005 under the auspices of the Caloprinis, Burcalis, Falieris, etc., and in 1013 Domenico and Giovanni Falieri ceded it to the monastery of Brondolo, in the possession of the various owners of...

Chiesa di San Moisè

According to some reports, the church of St. Moisè was built in 797 by the Artigera and Scoparia families with the name of St. Victor. However by 947 it was already falling into disrepair due to its having been built of slabs and was therefore...

Chiesa di San Salvador

This church is held to have been founded in the 7th century and rebuilt in the 12th century by the Canons of St. Augustine, the present church being built between 1507 and 1534. The facade, reconstructed in 1663 to a design by Giuseppe Sardi thanks...

Chiesa di Santa Maria del Giglio

The facade, erected between 1678 and 1683 by Giuseppe Sardi, is typically Baroque in character and exalts the glory of the Barbaro family, who commissioned it. The very simple interior, with a single nave with side chapels and presbytery, is rich in...

Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa

Legend has it that the Blessed Virgin appeared in this place to bishop St. Magnus, commanding him to build a church in her name, and the people called it S. Maria Formosa in memory of the prosperous form in which She appeared. The legend was born in...

Chiesa e campo San Maurizio

Onto this field, which during Carnival witnesses the vivacious participation of the Compagnia della Calza I Antichi, face the classical Church of St. Maurice (architects Diedo and Selva), and numerous palazzi, among them Palazzo Bellavite which...

Fontego dei Tedeschi

A building already existent from the 12th century, it was the dwelling and trade emporium of the German merchants in Venice. It was destroyed by fire in 1478 and rebuilt between 1505 and 1508. The facade of the building was decorated with frescoes...

Palazzo dei Camerlenghi

Built between 1525 and 1528, it was mainly the home of the three Camerlenghis (magistrates in charge of the State finances) and other lesser magistrates as well as the ground floor being the site of the State prison.

Palazzo Fortuny

An ancient property of the Pesaros, the characteristic Venetian – Gothic palazzo became the property of the Fortunys after Mariano Fortuny acquired it at the beginning of the century. He was an eclectic person; photographer, painter, collector and...

Palazzo Grassi

The very ancient Grassi family trace their origins to Bologna, and in 1230 they moved to Chioggia, where they obtained citizenship in 1646. They moved to Venice and Paolo Grassi and his brothers (one of whom, Pietro, was the bishop of Parenzo) rose...

Ponte di Rialto

In olden times it was the only fixed connection between the wto banks of the Grand Canal. Legend has it that in 1181 Nicolò Bareteri built a bridge of boats called the “Quartarolo”, from the small coin that was charged as a toll. In the 13th...

Scuola Grande San Teodoro

The Great School of St. Theodore is the sixth among the “Great Schools” of Venice and has been since 1552; it is part of a very old tradition. It was founded as a fraternal school in the ancient church of St. Theodore, the first patron saint of...

Teatro Goldoni

Theatre in Venice.

Basilica di San Giorgio Maggiore

The church represents one of the principal works of Andrea Palladio, even if the work, which began in 1566, actually finished long after the death of the master. The impressive facade in the Greek style and the majestic interior make it one of the...

Suggested Routes


Zone: | |

S.Zaccaria, San Marco, S.Zulian, S.Angelo


Zone: | |

S.Bartolomio, S.Maria dei Miracoli, Gesuiti, Fondamenta Nuove

San Zanpolo

Zone: | |

Fondamenta Nuove, S.Zanipolo, S.Maria Formosa, S.Salvatore

Santo Stefano

Zone: |

S.Angelo, Santo Stefano, San Samuele, Fenice, Vallaresso